Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sweets of Belgium

Belgium is a tasty city.  Really really tasty.  Even the simple waffle is a revelation.  I'm not a huge waffle fan, but now I know I'm not a huge American waffle fan, but Belgian waffles?  Yes please!


Belgian waffles are much denser, with a crackly outside and chewy inside.  You can get them plain on the go, or topped with a bunch of stuff.


Like strawberries and powder sugar, with a little bit of syrup....


Macarons are my favorite cookies.  So when I went to Pierre Marcolini to get chocolates and saw macarons, I had to get a box for myself.  Damn, they were good. There were a couple of pistachios, a mojito (bright and citrucy), vanilla, chocolate, and others.  All of the flavors were awesome and all of them had the perfect texture - crackly outer cookies and creamy insides.  YUM


I also ate a lot of pastries in Brussels.  I pretty much ate a lot of everything.  Exhibit A, my breakfast one morning was a pain au chocolat and an egg tart.  The pain was perfectly light and flaky.  The egg tart reminded me of the Chinese egg tarts that I love.


When you get an espresso or cappuccino in Belgium, they usually give you a small piece of cookie or chocolate to nibble.  At some places, they also give you a bit of chocolate mouse and cream.  Free dessert!   I love Belgium.

No comments: