Friday, August 27, 2010

Copenhagen is Mighty Tasty

Copenhagen is a tasty tasty city.  I don't know what I was expecting before I went there, but what I was greeted with was a whole lot of fresh and clean flavors, with an emphasis on seafood - my first and last love.

I'm very lucky in that I have some of the sweetest and most welcoming coworkers around the world, who all indulge me in my obsession for food.  See that spread below?  See that?  Yep, I ate that, washed down by way too many glasses of beer and schnapps.  (seriously kids, don't attempt a self-imposed schnapps tasting, no matter how intriguing schnapps dripped over amber sounds)



This awesome meal was partaken at København Caféen, a classic Danish restaurant.  The spread above is for 4 to share and came with *deep breathe* pork chops-herring-salmon-fried fish-pickled veggies-cheeses-chicken salad, and probably other stuff that I can't remember.  My favorites were the fried fish and various herrings.  I LOVE HERRINGS!  So fresh and tasty, with that tang that only herrings have.  The fried fish was super flaky, moist, and tender.  The platter came with a bunch of delicious Nordic breads - dense, hearty and studded with nuts.  Slather on some lard, they were the perfect accompaniment to the meal.


Another night, we ate at Skipperkroen in Nyhavn, the beautiful harbor of Copenhagen.  It was a beautiful late summer night to sit outside while enjoying... MORE HERRING!


Yep, I got the herrings 3 way - curried, with capers, and traditional.  I liked the curried and traditional the best.  The sweet curry went well with the sweet and tangy fish.  While the traditional one really lets the herring flavor shine.

Along with the herring sampler, I also got the half lobster salad.


Just a super fresh lobster prepared simply garnished with a tangy mayo sauce.  Check out that roe!  That totally made my day.

I ate more herring during my stay in Copenhagen, but you'll just have to wait for the next post.  muhahaha

No comments: