Monday, August 30, 2010

Copenhagen is Mighty Tasty Part 2

Damn, I have so many delicious meals that have not joined the cyberworld of ChubberBlub.  Sorry meals.  You were tasty and should be shared with the world.  First up, 3 more meals in Copenhagen, a mighty tasty city.

Dying for some roughage in the forms of greens after too much overindulgence, I happily stumbled on Riz Raz, an casual and cheap (in Nordic standards) in the Latin Quarters (according to the guidebooks) or Piss Quarter (according to the locals).  Riz Raz was awesome.  They had a veg-heavy lunch buffet to be enjoyed while sitting in a beautiful garden/courtyard.

The food leans Mediterranean, with pita and falafels (eh), fresh hummus and tabbouleh (yum), and a number of salads.  Unsurprisingly, my favorite was the watermelon and cucumber salad (bottom right).  Look at those watermelon chunks!  Aren't they gorgeous in their ruby glory?  

For lunch one day, I randomly picked a place that had seats and looked traditionally Danish, and had the best name.  Restaurant Puk.  Interestingly, both Restaurant Puk and Riz Raz are featured in my guidebook, but I didn't know it until after the fact.


I ordered their smørrebrød of herring with chives, onions, raw egg yolk.  I loved it.  I am very smitten by smørrebrød.  It's perfect for a person who likes to dissect her sandwiches and plan the perfect bite each time.  Also, you should remember that I love the hearty Danish bread, which was a perfect vehicle for the loads of stuff that topped it.  The herring was light and slightly tangy, offset by the super fresh egg and pungent but sweet onions and chives.  I want to eat it again now.


So smitten by smørrebrød, I ate it again the same day at Axelborg Bodega.  This time I went for the whole shebang, smørrebrød with fried fish, grilled fish, and little shrimps.  The avalanche of seafood completely covering the bread.  The fried fish was so flaky and light.  I especially loved the crispy edges.  The little shrimps were refreshing, similar to the shrimp salad I had in Norway, with a squeeze of lemon to bring out the freshness.  The grilled fish was nice and buttery, good but my least favorite of the three.  And yup, that's a dollop of caviar and mayo on top on top.  

Now, I'm on a hunt to find smørrebrød in NYC.  Please do share if you know of any!

No comments: