Tuesday, April 07, 2009

DC Trip Eats - Part 2

I guess if I titled an entry as "part 1", I need to supply a second part.  doh!  So yes, here is part 2 - two of my other meals in DC.  Note - on Saturday in DC, we bar/restaurant hopped and went to 3 different places for fried food + drinks instead of a proper dinner.  Then we wrapped up the night with a run to CVS for various chips, cookies, and chex mix.  Yes.  We came, we ate (fried stuff), we conquered.  No fried food is safe from our greedy grasp.  Unfortunately, my pics from 2 of the fried food places didn't come out so good so we will use 1 fried place and our Sunday brunch place (gosh I talk about brunch way too much.  I really don't eat brunch all that much, just happen to have my camera at brunch a lot) to conclude the DC food escapades.


My favorite of the fried food bar/restaurant hopping places was The Black Squirrel in Adams Morgan.  We picked the place for no valid reason except the big bright yellow sign and that squirrel graphic.  We are easily influenced.  ooh look, pretty lights!


We got the hand-cut french fries tossed in Old Bay with malt vinegar and ketchup.  Love fries, so getting that was a no brainer.  I couldn't really taste any Old Bay, but the vinegar was yummy.  I wish it came with mayo too, but you can't have it all.  The fries were not as crispy as I would liked it to be, but it was still tasty.


Besides the copious amt of beer and fries, we also got the calamari rings and sugar snap peas.  Sugar snap peas!  I heart!  The flavors were good, though both the calamari rings and sugar snap peas could have been fried better.  They were both kind of soggy (and the calamari rings were chewy).  It felt like they were either a. fried too long, or b. fried in old oil at low temperature.  Still, we ate them all cuz they were fine.


On Sunday, after a hard night of research and endless frustration with my failed blackberry (and a few calls to friends with internet), we settled on Leopold's Kafe for brunch.  The restaurant itself was super cute, nestled in a little side street with beautiful decor.  The drinks came first, my blueberry mojito was delicious (and pretty!).


Too bad the food was eh.   My smoked trout salad with creamy horseradish, boston lettuce, and pickled onions was my favorite dish out of the 4 we ordered.  It was simple and fresh, but too bad it was not that memorable - as in, it was fine, but I don't really care to eat it again.  


Kim's smoked trout hash with poached eggs was disappointing.  The eggs were overcooked so didn't have that beautiful sunny runniness of poached eggs.  Who wants to eat hard boiled eggs with hash?!   Julia's croque madam had good flavors but her poached eggs were undercooked.  The whites were still runny.  Ewwww... runny whites...  Marian's kale salad was fine, but again, not memorable.



I'm definitely planning to visit DC again soon and sample other fares.  I know that the city has a lot more to offer (like Hank's Oyster Bar!  Yum...)  So, I'll be back.  For Sure.

1 comment:

Amy Bowman said...

Thanks from all of us at The Black Squirrel for mentioning us on your blog. Glad you liked the fries! See you next time you're in DC