Tuesday, March 31, 2009

DC Trip Eats - Part 1


Kim and I made a whirlwind trip to our nation's capital to meet up with Julia, who will, after all my years of begging and coaxing, be a east coaster at last (muahaha).  What did you expect when Kim and I are allowed too much free time to ourselves?  Eat and drink, of course.

Our first stop as soon as we dropped of our bags was to hit up Hank's Oyster Bar, recommended by my coworker.  It was delicious, but sadly, it was also the best meal we would have (because we were lame and canceled our reservations at Komi and Cork due to poor planning, lame).


Kim and I are essentially the same person when it comes to food taste.  After a cursory glance at the menu, we both blurted out that the oyster po' boy and shrimp and grits were on our consideration list.  Problem solved!  We will get the two and share!  Wheee!  I love eating with me.

Forgot to mention, they gave us gold fish crackers when we sat down and then the bread basket above after we ordered.  I love a restaurant that tries to stuff you silly before your meal arrives.

The oyster po' boy was delicious.  The oysters were so perfectly fried - crunchy without being too bready.  The oysters themselves were so fresh.  Plump, ocean-y, lightly briny, and um, plump.  It was not heavily seasoned, but oysters that fresh don't need to be.  The huge oysters were nestled in a lightly toasted potato roll.  Why don't people use potato rolls more?  Sweet and so soft (the untoasted parts), they offer an amazing contrast to the crunchy oysters.  There were some arugula in the sandwich to provide a freshness.   The sandwich came with a slaw that I sadly have little recollection of.  It was good, I'm sure.


The shrimp and grits were good as well, though the oyster po' boy was definitely the star.  The grits taste freshly grounded.  I heart grits.  I can always always eat grits.  I think it's because it reminds me of my childhood comfort food, congee, but with cheese.  (note to self, try congee with cheese).  The shrimp were nicely sauteed with spinach.  Again, very fresh and plump.  I like.


At the end of the meal, they gave us chunks of dark chocolate.  For brunch!  That is awesome.  I need more free dark chocolate chunks in my life.  


No comments: