Thursday, March 26, 2009

Elizabeth's Restaurant - New Orleans

I planned the entire New Orleans trip around food.  Sightseeing occured if we happened by something from restaurant A to restaurant B.  Sticking to our rigid eating schedule, J-me and I hiked our expanding rears to Elizabeth's Restaurant for Saturday brunch.


The restaurant was cute, kind of a kitchy diner.  It was packed and had a bunch of people waiting outside.  Our wait wasn't bad, but could have been better if we had known about the bar upstairs.

We started with drunken bananas and their famous praline bacon.  I'll spare you the drunken banana pix, because, if you don't know already, brownish bananas still in one piece are not the most photogenic food.  They were good, nice and rum-y.  But slightly too sweet for me to eat too many.  I also wanted more caramelization and crispiness.

The praline bacons were crispy bacons sprinkled with sweet sweet pralines.  They were yummy and taste exactly like how they sound.  Bacons with pralines.  Yeah, salty + sweet = happy

J-me had the Red Neck Eggs (fried green tomatos, poached eggs, hollandaise.  Served with grits).  I had the Cajun Bubble and Squeak (country bacon, cabbage, and shrimp.  with poached eggs and hollandaise.  Grits, of course).  I loved my dish and J-me loved his.  So I guess it was a double win.  The fried green tomatos were fried perfectly.  The tomatos had a nice snap and tartness that acted as a nice balance to the hollandaise.  One of his eggs was overcooked, boo.  


I love stir fried cabbage, so my dish was perfect for me.  The country bacon lent a smokiness to the shrimp and cabbage.  My eggs were perfectly runny and added a heartiness to the dish.  I didn't think the hollandaise was necessary, but whatever.  Not going to complain about extra butter and cream.

The grits were sooo good.  It had a great consistency, not overcooked.  Tasted very fresh, if grits can taste fresh.  I appreciated the light hand with the cheese.  As much as I eat cheese by the ton, some food shouldn't be obscured by cheese, it's a very strong flavor, you know.  Yeah, you do.  I know you do.

We also had a bunch of bloodies and a drink that's creamy.  Can't remember what it was, so here's a pic.


I so wanted to go to Elizabeth's for lunch or dinner.  Too little meal times and stomach space!  Sad...

No comments: