Sunday, April 05, 2009

Brunch at Garage

It was a glorious, beautiful, sneak-peak-of-spring day in NYC.  The sun was shining, the birds were chirping.  So of course, J-me and I decided to test out another AYCD brunch spot.  This time, we headed to Garage, a place I passed by 1,000,000 times and went in 0 times.  For some reason, it was just not memorable - a cross between tourist trap and um, another tourist trap.  All was changed when I found out that they have all you can drink bloody marys, mimosas, and screwdrivers for $6.  Yes, I can be bribed with copious amt of alcohol.  I can be bribed with alcohol.  Period.  Alcohol and money.   And Food.  Yes. 

Garage has outdoor seating, which was of course completely packed because every single person and her mother had the same idea as we did on this first real nice day of the season.  Dying of starvation as I always am when it's 5 min past my normal feeding time, we agreed to sit inside.  The host, after throwing us an incredulous look for not having a reservation (really? a reservation at this giant warehouse of a place?) grabbed 2 menus and seated us.  Wait time - 0 min.  Spare me the incredulous look if you have availability please.   


We both opted for the mimosa AYCD because it's pretty hard to screw that up.  I wish you can switch between drinks, but nope.  You can't.  So it was mimosas over my usual bloodies, cuz I hate drinking bad ones and wasn't in the mood to risk drinking bad ones for the next hour or so.

J-me got the stuffed french toast with blueberries and cream cheese.  It was fine.  Kind of hard to not like eggy bread stuffed with cream cheese and syrupy fruit.  I wish they used fresh blueberries instead of the sad little purple things that came out of a canned syrup fruit thing (or where ever fake-ish syrupy blueberries come from), especially since the menu said fresh blueberries.  The menu lied, bad menu, bad.  The french toast could have been a lot more custard-ier.  But I guess the cream cheese made the lack of custard less glaringly sad.  I think everything tastes better with cream cheese.  Cheese tastes better with cream cheese.  It's magic.  


I got the farmer's market omelet, which was supposed come with all sorts of roasted veggie goodness, including but not limited to - asparagus, tomatoes, eggplant, yellow squash, all that with goat cheese.  Now, doesn't that sound yum?  But the menu lied again.  My omelet did not come with any of the stuff above, except goat cheese and maybe some yellow squash.  I certainly did not see any tomatoes or asparagus.  It came with carrots.   Argh!  I hate cooked carrots unless they are soft like those in curries, stews, or soups.   I don't think my veggies were roasted nor from the farmer's market, whatevs.  The omelet isn't the fluffy french kind, but I can deal with that.  I wish the goat cheese was spread out more evenly in the omelet, instead of plopped on one side of it, causing me to destroy my omelet in panic looking for it during the first 3o seconds of receiving it. 


I'm not a huge roasted potato person, so I barely ate my side of potatoes.  I think it was crusted in corn meal or something.  It had that unoriginal roasted potato flavor and no moisture.  Yep, it was one dry roasted potato ball.

The service was not super attentive, but at least we never had to wait more than 1 min for a refill of mimosa.  Oh yeah, they have live jazz during brunch.  It was interesting but I felt like I was in the cross section of tourist trap and tourist trap.   

Where will I hit up for my next boozy brunch?  Stay tuned.

No comments: