Sunday, April 12, 2009

Another Brunch Post

Hmmm...  I should probably change my blog to The Brunch Blog.  Seems like that's all I ever take pictures of.  J-me and I met up with Cheryl and Rich for brunch at Perilla on a rainy and cold NYC afternoon for brunch.  Yes, it was 45 degrees in the middle of April.  I'm so over it.  I just want to throw away my coat and burn my scarves already.  I want sun!  I want heat!  I want to be un-cold!  End rant.  Now, back to our regular programming.


We started with some smoky bloody mary.  The drink was fine - not bad, but not memorable, and definitely was not smoky.  It just tasted like a normal bloody mary, maybe a little lighter side.  I was expecting something like smoked pepper taste cuz I had made that connection of bloody mary = spicy.  Spicy = peppers as in jalapeno.  Jalapeno = can be dried/smoked.  Therefore, smoky bloody mary = smoked peppers.  You see, it was all very logical.  But nope, no smoke, no pepper.  My logic failed.

Rich had the duck burger (spicy duck burger, jack cheese, avocado, and spiced frieswhich was very good.  I think this was my first time having a duck burger, don't even think I've seen it on other menus.  The burger was very juicy and tender.  The meat was of the loose variety, as in, the ground duck meat was not patted into a dense meat puck, just ever so lightly, patted that is.  I think the bread was fine but can't remember details on why it was fine cuz I only took one bite.  It was an enjoyable bite, I tell you.  The fries were pretty good.  They are fatter than the kind I usually like.  I tend to go for the McDonald fries family - thin with crispy outside protecting the helpless soft carby inside, with salt, lots and lots of the white stuff.  But I liked the Perilla fries.  They were crispier than I thought they'd be and flavored perfectly.


Cheryl had the best dish in my opinion, too bad the pictures I took of her food were also the blurriest.  Grrr....  Creamy white grits with fried poached egg, rock shrimp, peppers and tasso ham.  Oh shrimp and grits, you've never done me wrong.  The grits were cooked just how I like them - not gummy, light and swimming in a flavorful broth made possible by tasso ham and peppers.  The runny yolk from the fried egg added another dimension that thickened the grits.  


Yay for J-me for ordering something sweet so to round out my meal.   His blueberry and buckwheat pancakes with mascarpone and bourbon maple syrup = oh man, sooo good.  I'm not usually a huge fan of pancakes, more of a waffle or french toast kind of gal.  But dang it, these were some fluffy pancakes with some plump blueberries.  I'm kind of in love with them.  Or maybe, I'm kind of in love with any bourbon flavored sweet stuff.  Bourbon, who knew you are a dessert sauce's bff.  Who knew.  


I got the most unhealthy sounding thing on the menu.  I had to, they made me.  Not sure who they are, but I assure you, they are out there.  My dish started innocent enough - poached organic eggs.  But nah, who wants to just eat  that.  We must have the eggs sit on some garlic buttermilk biscuits!  Oh wait, let's also throw in 1 lb of pork sausages!  Hmmm...  I think it's missing something, oh yes, more fat!  In the form of sausage gravy!   Ahh...  brunch.  My dish was really good.  I will pretty much eat anything drowning in gravy and runny egg yolk, so down the gullet it went.  I also really liked the kind of sausage, kind of homemade-like, mildly spicy.  


Overall, I thought Perilla was a good place for brunch.  The entrees were completely reasonably priced for the level of yumminess.  The service was kind of bleh, but at least they weren't un-attentative.  Since it's pretty close to my apt, I can see myself going back.  I need to try the corn beef hash.


No comments: