Monday, March 07, 2011

Warsaw Soups and Stews

I went to Poland in death of winter.  Good thing Poland is full of warm and tasty soups to sustain.


At Gospoda Poleca, I had bigos, full of sauerkraut and all matters of meat.  The version I had was really salty.  I did have bland bread to cut the saltiness.  Hurm.

But things got better from there.


The next day, I chomped down on some yummy sour cabbage soup with ham at Ceprownia.  This is what I'm talking about.  Sour, savory, and hearty.

Sour is good.  I was so enamored by this next sour soup that I had it twice.


According to wikipedia, zurek is a sour rye soup with potatoes, sausages, and hard boiled eggs.  What exactly sour rye is, I have no idea.  But I loved the slightly murky texture of the soup, made even better by dunking bread in it.

Speaking of murky, one of my favorite soups was a hearty tripe soup at Pod Mesalką Restauracja.  


The tripe was tender and clean flavored.  It was fully of tasty herby flavor.  I would totally eat an entire pot of this.

At the same restaurant on a different night, I sampled another soup.


It was like a Polish version of wonton soup.  Meat dumplings in thin wrappers, soaked in beefy goodness of the broth.

A similar broth was used for a chicken noodle soup I had at Restauracja Delicja Polska.


It was a clean and simple soup, perfect to warm up with after walking around in the cold.  Soup does a body good.  

No comments: