Monday, March 14, 2011

Santiago Revisited

I love Santiago and those who live there.  The food is damn good too.  My favorite place that I visited this time was definitely Como Aqua Para Chocolate, modeled after the awesome novel and its tasty food.



The flaky white fish was perfectly grilled.  The crispy skin was topped by a mango relish and supported by simple marinated mushrooms and drizzle of balsamic.  Weird combo?  Maybe, but it totally makes sense that tangy and sweet mango goes well with a light fish, balanced by earth mushrooms.


Then to completely undo the relatively light meal, I finished off a milky custard with bruleed cream and more milky sauce around it.  Custard should really be in its own food group.  Is there ever bad custard?

Chile's proximity to Peru means that there are awesome Peruvian foods to be consumed.  Starting with the cutest cup of pisco sour at El Otro Sitio.


Wooden goblets are definitely underrated.


OMG, these ceviche empanadas were ridiculously good.  Like revelatory good.  The fried dough was so incredibly light.  How did the fresh seafood innards not soggi-fy the empanadas, I will never know.  But maybe if I eat it a few million times, I'll know enough to tell you.  Who wants to sponsor my empanada study program?!


Peruvian chupe is really different from the thicker, stewier chupe of Chile.  This particular seafood chupe was light but filling.  Swirling the runny yolk into the murky broth, it was so satistfying.  I also loved the huge corn kernels!  Starchier and less sweet than the corn we're used to, it acted as additional carbiness.


So I got a suspiro.  Kind of a parfait thing made with condensed milk (my first love!), caramel custard.  Some berries and fruits I couldn't identify were thrown in for health.  Really, the menu had me at condensed milk, it's like my "hello".




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks so amazingly good. i came to your site because of the eggplant and fermented tofu dish, but all of the food you eat is so good looking!!

Chrispy said...

@anonymous thanks so much! i really need to keep up with my blog more. so many meals left behind! =/