Friday, April 23, 2010

Madrid Part 3 - El Cacique

Almost every meal I had in Madrid was memorable and El Cacique is WAYYY up there.  My amazing co-worker learned about my love for all things of inner organ origin and proceeded to ordered up a menu so devoid of green roughage but so bursting of innard goodness.  To solidify his amazingness, we ate everything family style so that meant I could try 2X amount of food.  Sharing is caring, you guys.

We started the meal with classic meatballs.  Tender, moist, full of big flavors and tomato tastiness = love.


My favorite dish of the night had to be the callos, a very typical Madrileño stew.  And what a stew it was!  A big messy bowl of all my favorite nasty bits in a soul warming bubbling cauldron - tripes, blood sausage, gelatinous pig parts (feet i think), and other unidentifiable but oh so yummy animal parts.  Every slightly spicy bite was a surprise in flavor and texture.


After a bowl of innards, we needed more innards.  Molleja, sweetbread, was in order.  If you are a faithful reader of this blog (yes, that one reader out there!), you know my obsession with sweetbread (and uni!  that's irrelevant here.  but what if they mixed the two, omg, my head would explode).  Pan fried sweetbread with a a dash of lemon.  Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, just like a good sweetbread should be.


And there was more!  A plate of pan fried kidneys to be exact.  I really liked the kidney flavor, but sadly, this dish was overcooked so the kidneys were really chewy.  Plus, how can kidneys compare when there are sweetbreads on the table.


The meal concluded with a complementary plate of simple cookies and dulce de leche.  A perfect nibble to end the meal.


What an awesome last meal in Madrid.  I hope to go back soon.  So much more food left uneaten, so many pig parts untasted.  Thanks to my wonderful and generous coworkers for showing me such a great time and ordering up the best food ever!

Madrid Part 1 - Sobrino de Botin
Madrid Part 2 - Tasting Meal

No comments: