Saturday, March 13, 2010

Madrid Part 2 - Tasting Menu

I mentioned before that Madrid was one of the most exciting food cities I've ever been to.  One night, I was treated to an amazing tasting menu.  Unfortunately, my feeble grasp of Spanish hindered my brain from remembering the name of the restaurant.  or where it's located.  I'm so not helpful.

We started with a fish mousse.  For some reason, I love fish in whipped form, as you all know from my love of bacalao.  So I loved this.  Creamy but light, salty, ocean-y.


The mousse was followed up by a jamon salad.  Not just any jamon salad, this one came with foie gras and pomegranate.


How do you improve the already incomparable jamon?  why, just throw some foie gras on it!  How can this salad be bad?  No, it can't and it wasn't.  The tangy pomegranate cut thru the unctuousness of the jamon and foie.  *insert homer gurgling sound here.*

Next up was mushrooms sauteed with crumbled blood sausage and eggs.  This was one of my favorite dishes of the night.  The ingredients just complement each other so well.  It kind of reminded me of Chinese food.  Yum


Then we ate more jamon.  This time, sliced thin on top of a plate of fries and fried peppers.  The fried peppers were so tasty.  I could have eaten a whole plate of those salty peppers.


I was pretty full after the first four plates, but nope, they were just starters.  On to our mains!  First up, monk fish with cockles.  It was in a tomato-y broth.  I thought it was good.  But monk fish isn't my favorite fish (but i love monk fish liver, mmmm).  So I was ambivalent towards this dish.



Following that fairly large piece of fish, was a fairly large piece of steak.  It came with fried zucchinis (those tofu looking things) and mushrooms.  The zucchinis were so tasty.  Kind of like the korean style fried zucchinis, battered in eggs.  The mushrooms were not so good.  The steak was fine, but I was so full by that times to really enjoy it.  



We finished off the meal with our own plate of assorted desserts.  I can't recall what was on that plate.  Looks like there was flan, custard-y thing, and some cake-y stuff.  Um.  



Another decadent meal down, stay tuned for my meal of innards in Madrid.  Sweetbreads, tripes, and kidneys, oh my!  





No comments: