Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bits o' Stuff - Muffin and Vørterøl

While in Oslo, I made my way up to Frognerseteren to check out the gorgeous views and the amazingly pristine snow.  Oslo is seriously one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.  Our hotel front desk woman had highly recommended the muffins at the ski lodge, so I of course had to get one.  While I'm at it, I decided to grab a bottle of what I thought was dark beer.  Hey, cute bear!  Beer bottle shape!  I haven't met a beer I can't drink, so on my platter the cute bear beer bottle went.


The muffin was okay.  It was really sweet and dense.  I did enjoy the crusty muffin top, but overall, it's a bit syrupy sweet for me.

My cute bear beer turned out to be vørterøl. Holy cow, it was crazy. Beer, it was not. It's some kind of fermented malty drink, non-alcoholic. I could not, for the life of me, finish the bottle. The flavor was so weirdly sweet and unpleasant for me. I tried, I really tried. I drank about 1/2 the bottle before surrendering. Let that be a lesson for everyone, not everything in a beer bottle is friendly.

No comments: