Saturday, February 20, 2010

Paris Part 2

If one eats foie gras during lunch and dinner in one day, that probably crosses the line between indulgence and extreme excess.  I stood firmly in the extreme excess realm in Paris.

I started my day of excess with mulitple croissants and a couple of macarons.  Before I had a chance to brush the crumbs off my face, it was time for lunch with my wonderful French colleagues.  We strolled over to the lovely A Table, where we were met with some toast with tapenade when we sat down.


The perfect bite to begin the meal.  I followed up that perfect bite with a bit of soup, sort of.


Calling this soup doesn't really do it justice.  Pureed lentils soup topped with shaved foie gras.  Genius?  I think yes.  Earthy, creamy, and deeply flavorful.

I could have just eaten this for lunch and be satisfied.  But why stop there?  I didn't, I got the tartare de boeuf instead.


Tartare is one of those dishes that I love but don't eat enough.  Probably because I am often disappointed by them - gummy and stringy.  But not this one.  This one was awesome.  The meat was bright and perfectly seasoned.  It had the perfect texture, soft and beefy.  And the fries, mmmm...  the French, they really know their fries.

We went to Cafe la Jatte for dinner that night, where I crossed the line.  Cafe la Jatte was designed by Eiffel, as in Eiffel Tower Eiffel.  How cool is that?


After going gaga for the space, I settled down with more foie gras.  This time, as a slab with some mango jam.    I love foie gras.  It you didn't know that before, now you know.  


For my entree, I went with something that sounded less unhealthy, the smoked cod with mashed potatoes and pink peppercorn.  


Of course this was tasty as well.  The cod has a deep smoky flavor which was an interesting and tasty combo with the mashed potatoes.  The meat was tender and flaky.  The entire dish was brightened up by the crushed peppercorn and the bunch of parsley.

I had the baba au rum for dessert and sampled some cheeses.  Stinky raw cheeses, how I love thee.  



Rocamadour was a goat cheese, very gamey, almost rich in its gaminess.  I liked it a lot but my heart belonged to the Saint Marcellin.  Creamy to the point that it sticks to you and stinky in the way that only great cheeses can stink and still make you love it.  The perfect way to end a perfect day.


No comments: