Sunday, February 07, 2010

London Part 1

I have a couple of rules when it comes to eating.  1. Try everything once.  I follow the "don't knock it until you try it" mantra.  2. If I don't like something, try it again in an year.

As they say, rules are meant to be broken.  I finally found a food that I will probably never try again.  We'll get to that in a little bit.  First, the good stuff!

I finally made my way to St. John's Restaurant in London, after dreaming about it for ages.  I had the roasted bone marrow with parsley salad.


There is nothing bad to say about this.  Bone marrow is meaty, unctuous, and full of flavor.  Smear it over some toasted bread, sprinkle a bit of salt, it's the perfect hearty snack.  I loved the parsley salad.  Refreshing.

I also had the roasted shallots (not like the American shallots, they're more like baby onions), goat cheese, and mint salad.  This again is a simple dish, but interesting and tasty in flavor.  I've never thought of putting goat cheese with onions.  But it works.  The mint salad was tasty, just wish there was more of it.


One morning, I decided to have a proper English fry-up breakfast, complete with beans and tomatoes.  Well, I guess it's not a true fry-up since I couldn't help but throw a croissant in there.  Surprisingly, I actually liked the beans.  They were tangy and sweet.  Not something I'd crave, but I would eat it if it's on my plate.  The sausage was good, but the mushrooms were a bit boring.  


Not all English traditions agreed with me.  Case in point, the one food that I shall never ever try again - the pickled egg.


I would say that I have a very broad palate.  There isn't much in this world that I wouldn't eat.  Then there is the pickled egg.  A puckery hard boiled egg.  Yeah, it tastes exactly like what it sounds like, just more rubbery.  It's definitely something that is an acquired taste.

In the background lies a quarter of a pork pie.  Kind of like spam in a cold, greasy, flaky crust.  Not something I'd seek out, but I would eat it if I'm starving, and if it is drowned in mustard.

I did love the bar that served the above creations, Ye Olde Mitre Tavern, which is one of the oldest pubs in London.  It was definitely good times that night, minus the few minutes swallowing that egg.

No comments: