Sunday, July 17, 2005

hot hot hot

The other day I saw my favorite chili sauce being used by my favorite chef, Mario Batali. Okay, he's not just my favorite, I idolize him. The man is a genius! Seeing him wielding Sriracha on Iron Chef just reaffirmed my adoration.

I've long known that the greatness of Sriracha has no cultural boundaries. Though Thai in origin, Sriracha has adorned everything in my kitchen from fried rice to empanadas. Want some spice in your pasta? a squirt of Sriracha will take care of it. Bland ribs? no prob, just dab some of that bright red chili sauce and voila!

Sriracha's genius is in its smooth and perfectly blended flavor. There isn't one flavor element that overpowers the others. Tobasco has its vinegar, Chinese chili paste has its garlic, some sauces are too peppery, the others, too sweet. Sriracha is the Goldilocks of chili sauces, just right.

Of course Batali won that round. What can I say, the man is a genius.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I saw that it's manufactured in the OC. It is its own flavor.