Tuesday, July 12, 2005

gari of the gods

Okay, so my friends expected that I would write about the out-of-body experience that was Sushi of Gari. I expected myself to swoon and go on and on about the transcendental experience that was Sushi of Gari. But I hesitated... why? you ask? I didn't think (and still don't) my limited culinary descriptions could justify the restaurant.

Imagine now, the delicate creations of this avant garde artist, which combined mutlicultural cusine with traditional Japanese fare . Have you ever thought of chopping up creamy toro with pungent yellow Korean daikon? Or charring the same toro ever so lightly so that the dark smoky flavor, usually reserved for yakitori, mellows as it melts with the perfectly seasoned sushi rice? Well, Gari had, and the results were unforgettable.

It was the first time I had a purple shrimp (cooked). The texture was more lobster than shrimp. There was tiny roe hidden in the shrimp's belly - the dimension of the flavor was subtle but lingered on and on. There was also salmon topped with grated raw daikon - the pungentness cuts through the fatty fish without masking the taste of the ocean.

It was one of those meals that made you wish your wallet and tummy were big enough to accommodate every thing they can throw at you. Thank god the restaurant is insanely far from my LES abode, or else I would have make-believed I'm in possession of both Gari essentials every other day.

1 comment:

abusygirl said...

aww... what happened to the "one entry for each piece of sushi" idea??? i feel like such a disappointed reader. heehee. just kidding. :)