Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sticky Rice Thai BBQ

I love BYOB places.  Even if the food is just north of edible, I'd still eat it because heck, I can drink my own booze to dull those taste buds.  So my delight was multiplied to the 100th power when J-me and I ate at Sticky Rice Thai BBQ - a BYOB place where the food was pretty good.  We have been intrigued by Sticky Rice for awhile now, but after they denied us delivery once, we forgot all about it.  But one weekend, we had half a bottle of sake left from the night before and angrily growling stomaches, we decided to check it out.


We wanted every appetizer on the menu so when we found that Sticky Rice offered a sampler, we praised the lord.  Not really, but we did yip in joy.  The sampler came with Crisp Prawn Roll, Steamed Thai Dumpling, Beggar's Pouch, Steamed Vegetables Dumpling, Duck Roll. I liked them all, especially the beggar's pouch, stuffed with shrimp and chicken then fried to a crisp. All of the fried stuff had a satisfying light crunch. The steamed stuff were all nice and moist. Apps are probably my favorite part of any meal.





To add some healthful greens to our diet, we ordered the Spicy Duck Salad tossed shredded duck meat, apple, cashew nuts, pineapple, cilantro, roasted chili vinaigrette. I don't think I tasted any roasted chili. But the duck and apple combo was tasty. I love cashews. All restaurants should ceased to use peanuts and go with cashews instead. I mean, I like peanuts too, but they're no cashews. Am I right?



tasty, tasty cashews


Since BBQ is in their namesake, we felt that it was the right thing to do to consume some charred meat, in the form of Grilled Marinated Short Ribs marinated with ginger, scallion & sesame seeds (yes, I copy the online menu. Every chance I get. Trust me, you don't want to depend on my memory to recall food. It would have been "glistening meat with 3 sauces",) This was basically Korean kalbi with different dipping sauces. It was good, tender and flavorful, but a bit too sweet for my taste. Plus, I was disappointed that it wasn't Thai BBQ. I felt like I missed out by ordering the wrong thing. boo.





The last plate was a special, so no online menu. Darn it! I shall call it "scrambled meat in brown sauce with egg on top". See, I need the menus. This is one of those very homey dishes that everyone has eaten before. Minced chicken stir-fried with peppers in that lightly sweet soy sauce. I love coating the rice with the meat and sauce. Just like what I used to eat when I was young. mmm...





Overall, I enjoyed the meal. It was fun to eat Thai food that is a little more imaginative. I'm definitely going back to try some of their other dishes. The paella is next on my list.

No comments: