Friday, June 12, 2009

Flushing Food Crawl Part 2

Alrighty then, y'all ready for part 2?! I know I am! Not just because I'm writing the post! I just am! Here's part 1 to refresh your memory.

Part 2 of our Flushing food crawl began and ended at the Flushing Mall food court. Mark my word, I shall find a way to reside in the mall permanently so I can wake up and pass out to oodles of Taiwanese deliciousness. As god is my witness, I shall never go hungry again.


All things dunked in bubbling hot oil instantly gains extra super happiness quotient in my heart. Yes, super happiness quotient exists, check your heart next time it nears bubbling hot oil dunked things. Could be hypertension too, but whatever, I'm no doctor. Salt crispy chicken has super happiness quotient. It's the Taiwanese style popcorn chicken, but with lots flavor crammed into its bitsy bite dominated by white pepper. mmmm...


What's that I smell? Could it be the pungent loveliness of... why yes! 'Tis our friend! Stinky tofu. Oh love, how I miss thy piping hot crunchy garlickiness and your friend, spicy pickled cabbage. And you're fried too! Super happiness quotient for you!


Although I would be content to fill up my day with fried food, we decided to add some variety... so we got... more brown food! Geez, I did not realize how friggin brown our food was until I looked at the pictures. But brown food rocks. So on to our next - intestine rice noodle soup. I swear, it's tasty. The noodles are very different from the kind I usually like (al dente). Rice noodles are soft and slurpy. No chewing required. The soup is thickened by potato starch and has bits of intestines floating in them. If you've never had intestines, you should. Chewy and sweet, they are damn good.


We had another brown dish in the shape of a shrimp pancake, but the picture was super blurry. Just think of the oyster pancakes I talked about from Taiwan and replace oysters with shrimp. That was my favorite dish, so I was sad the pic did not turn out.

Guess what else we had.. Taiwanese breakfast! Yay! Salty soy milk with crullers. Yep, still love it. I can still eat this everyday.


More brown food coming up. Thin sesame pancake stuffed with thinly sliced marinated beef was one of the crowd winners. The pancake was light and sweet which complemented the salty beef, sliced so thin that some are transparent.


We topped off our meal with some Happy Happy Party Time, I mean, bubble tea. These were good for NYC, bleh compared to LA or Taiwan. But they hit the spot, so I ain't complaining. And yes, I realize that the teas were brown.


Not brown food.


1 comment:

cheryl said...

nice pics! sorry i missed it. looks like you guys hit all the good spots.