Saturday, May 16, 2009

I Eat Din Tai Fong

Asia trip is over.  Sad.  So many foods consumed.  But still, so many more foods left behind.  I wish I could have packed extra stomachs with my extra socks.  Even without supernatural packing capabilities, I think I made my parents proud by consuming 3x the recommended nutrition.  I'm going to talk about some of the stuff I ate over the next few weeks, but not in any particular order, just whatever my fancy strikes.  I follow my fancy and you shall too.

Our last day in Taipei, we ate at the famous Din Tai Fong in SOGO - an awesome department store with awesome food courts.  Food courts in Asia rock!  Why can't we have them here?!  You can get real food, as in non-fast food, for super cheap and fast.  They are also ginormous so everyone can find something to eat.  But anyway, I digress.  


Din Tai Fong's specialties are their dumplings and other dough based food products.  So of course, we had to over-order.  We started with a couple of apps - chilled spicy cukes and pickled cabbage with pork.  

I love any types of cucumber salad and this one was good in my tummy too.  It was fresh, crunchy, refreshing, and garlicky.  Garlicky = yay!


We ordered the pickled cabbage because 1. it's dope, 2. we got a noodle soup which I'll get into later that goes with pickled cabbage like whipped cream and strawberries.  The pickled cabbage is tangy which is mellowed out by the pork.  I love Taiwanese food.  Just. Love.


To nourish our bodies, we also got greens, stir fried.  I love these veggies (we, the Taiwanese, call them A-tsai or A-veggies).  I have no clue what they're called in English, but if you know, do share your knowledge!  These veggies are awesomely tender with a tiny hint of bitter.  I love.


Din Tai Fong is known for their soup dumplings (shiao long bao), they are stuff of legend.  My dad once told me that each dumpling has exactly 18 folds (or something like that) on top.  Yes, legendary, I tell you.  We got the crab and pork soup dumplings.  OMG, were they juicy, or soupy, whatever.  They were delicious.  The crab flavor was strong but in that fresh oceany briny way.  The skin was thin but still got a chewy bite.  I can bathe in the soup forever.

We also got the steamed veggie dumplings.  When a veggie dumpling is made right, it can be better than meat dumplings.  I mean it, and I'm a carnivore.  These dumplings were made right.  The skin was chewy, just the reason why I love a good steamed dumpling.  The insides were a combo of different veggies, shitake, and rice stick noodles.  Oh sooo good...


I shall stop here to let you know that there were just 2 of us at lunch, as in, just 2 stomachs.  I warn you now, please do not be frightened by the amount of food we consumed.  Okay, with that disclaimer, let's move on.

Next up, fried pork chop!  Taiwanese pork chop is the best.  If you've never had it, run to the nearest Taiwanese restaurant and pick one up.  The pork chop is cut thin and i think pounded to tenderize.  Then they coated it in a yummy spice mixture, heavy on the pepper.  Then the whole thing is fried.  Fried pork chop = genius.


Finally, we consumed a beef noodle soup.  Can't come to Taipei without indulging in the national pastime - slurping beef noodle soup.  Din Tai Fong's version includes hand pulled noodles (nice and chewy, I approved) and a fragrant broth.  I love the anise-y broth.  Anise has almost a sweet flavor which melds well with the tender beef pieces.  I'm no expert in beef noods, which inspires passionate arguments among the Taiwanese, but I liked Din Tai Fong's version.  Liked it enough to leave no slurp behind.


Oh wait, I lied.  There was one more "finally".  Finally, we consumed an eight treasure rice.  ETR is a common Chinese/Taiwanese dessert.  It's sticky rice steamed with a bunch of stuff, including red bean paste, lotus seeds, and whatever other stuff that adds up to 8 treasures.  It was good, tastes like all other ETR I've had.


Din Tai Fongs are a huge chain now.  There is one in LA that I went to a long time ago.  But for some reason, the meal I had in Taipei was much more memorable and delicious.  I wish I can get those dumplings shipped here so I can guzzle the meaty soup by the gallon.  Ahhh... Taiwan.  I shall be back.

No comments: