Wednesday, May 25, 2005

green apple sorbet

I can never resist il laboratorio del gelato, even with the long line of natives and tourists clamoring for a taste of sweet sweet heaven. I’m a sucker for their smooth-as-silk gelato in unexpected flavors. Each one seems so foreign in the freezer, but becomes logical when melting in my mouth.

The other day I decided to veer from my all dairy diet and try the icy sorbets. Watermelon was sold out, so I got my next favorite fruity flavor – green apple. Wow…. Far from the sweet green apple bubblegum flavor that I expected and thought I wanted, this was all apple, and I mean ALL apple. It was as if someone grinded up a bushel of green apples and packed them in a freezer for a few hours. It was icy, slightly sweet, and refreshingly fragrant. Little pieces of sweet apple skin floated throughout the pale green sorbet – adding a welcome texture to the cool iciness. Hmmm… I thought I liked all green apple flavored food stuff… now I’m just spoiled.

No comments: