Wednesday, June 01, 2005

ode to old speckled hen

It is my firmest belief that beer is a fine art. No other beverage is so widely enjoyed, so easily enjoyed than beer. Beer is to Van Gogh (loved by all, understood by few) as wine is to Picasso (appreciated by all, understood by none). I love gulping a cold, crisp pilsner on a hot hot day just as much as I love nursing a complex ale while chilling with friends.

Unsurprisingly then, that one of my goals in life is to taste all the beers on tap at my favorite pub, The Ginger Man. Sadly to say, after 5 years, I’ve only tasted 1/10 of their repertoire. Partly due to the extensive list, partly due to the distracting rotation of seasonal beers, but mainly due to my one true love – Old Speckled Hen. How can I waste my belly room for other beers when Old Speckled Hen is available on tap? (note to OSH fans, DBA also offers it on tap)

OSH is named after a car. Quirky? Yes, but the fact that it’s English should explain it. The luscious amber color is set with a thick white head. The creamy consistency rolls down your throat, leaving behind a nutty richness offset by the faint fruity aftertaste. In cold weather, order the hearty and satisfying Guinness Stew at the Ginger Man. When it’s warm, have the perfectly assembled turkey BLT. But always leave some belly room for Old Speckled Hen.

No comments: